; Supermarket Serenade: Rosemary-Cheddar Potato Frittata

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Rosemary-Cheddar Potato Frittata

Not everyone has a green thumb.

Some people, and I must count myself among those people, can't grow anything. My mother (Rosemary) had a serious green thumb-we're talking Johnny Appleseed on crack green thumb; she could literally toss some seeds onto the ground and a few weeks later would have a spectacular garden. Not me. Frankly I'm just grateful we have a lawn.

Thankfully this time of year supermarkets are overflowing with the fresh fruits, vegetables and herbs that other green thumb blessed individuals have grown so that people such as myself don't have to feel so bad for our green thumb deficiencies. Today I picked up some fresh, fragrant rosemary-my favorite herb for many reasons: its pungent flavor, it's herby Christmas-tree like smell but mostly because it reminds me of my mother and her incredible green thumb.
Here are some tips for selecting fresh rosemary in the supermarket:
  • Make sure the leaves are a bright green with no black leaves.
  • Look for stalks that are tender and not brittle.
  • Fresh rosemary should have a strong evergreen like smell.
  • Fresh rosemary stalks make great skewers for grilling, just look for firm stems.
  • If your supermarket doesn't have fresh rosemary and you need to substitute dried, use 1 teaspoon of dried for every tablespoon of fresh.

Rosemary-Cheddar Potato Frittata

2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
2 cups 1/2-inch diced potatoes
1 tablespoon minced shallot
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
6 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup diced extra sharp cheddar cheese

Heat the extra virgin olive oil in a shallow 10-inch non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add the potatoes, shallot, salt, pepper and 1 tablespoon of the rosemary. Spread the potatoes in an even layer in the pan. Cook the potatoes, stirring frequently, until tender-about 20-25 minutes.
Preheat a broiler.

Stir in the eggs, cheddar cheese and the remaining tablespoon of rosemary; reduce the heat to low and cook, covered, for 15 minutes. Remove the lid and place under the broiler for 5 minutes or until very lightly browned on top.

Run a rubber spatula around the edge of the pan to loosen, then slide the frittata onto a serving plate; cut into wedges to serve. Garnish if desired with additional rosemary.

Yield: 8 servings




6 comments:

Prudy said...

I love rosemary. My neighbors have a thriving bush and so I often help myself-with their permission of course. I'd love this fritatta.

RecipeGirl said...

Count me in as one who just can't seem to grow anything food-related. I do, however, have pretty good luck w/herbs. And we have a huge rosemary hedge in our backyard. We're big frittata fans. Nicely done!

Live.Love.Eat said...

Your pictures are absolutely enticing and delicious. I am so hungry whenever I come here. Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nina Timm said...

This is my first visit and I just love your banner...I think it is hilarious!!!!!

Aggie said...

Love this frittata!

I tagged you for a music meme on my blog! : )

La Bella Cooks said...

I too possess the gardening hand of death. My husband on the other hand is brilliant at it, so I leave it up to him to tend to my herbs! Your fritatta sounds wonderful. I love all the flavors.