; Supermarket Serenade: Chicken Corn Chowder for a Crowd!

Friday, July 11, 2008

Chicken Corn Chowder for a Crowd!

Farm fresh corn without question is one of the best things about summer. By the end of July, supermarkets and farm stands will be bursting with super sweet golden ears of corn. Here in the east corn is just becoming available and I couldn't wait to make something with it.


Once a month I cook for a local shelter which houses and assists women trying to get their lives back on track. I try hard each month to come up with something to serve that I know I would love to be served. I have always felt that a good meal- I mean a tasty, lick your lips, When Harry met Sally diner scene type of meal can change your whole outlook on life. It is for this reason when I prepare my meals, I try to prepare the best meal I can for the 12-15 or so women housed there.

Today I'll be serving Chicken Corn Chowder made with some local fresh corn, on the side will be Barefoot Contessa Cheddar Jalapeno Cornbread (made yesterday for the Barefoot Bloggers) and Mixed Greens with Grapes, Dried cranberries and Blue cheese.

The cheddar cornbread works really well with the chowder...is it a "When Harry met Sally diner scene" type of meal? I don't know but I was pleased with how it turned out and I was happy to serve it.


Chicken Corn Chowder for a Crowd

8 slices thick cut bacon, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
1/2 cup finely chopped shallot
1 1/2 cups small diced celery
1 tablespoon minced jalapeño pepper, seeds and membranes removed
1 teaspoon salt plus additional to taste
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper plus additional to taste
1/4 cup flour12 cups chicken broth or stock
3 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, unpeeled, diced
6 ears fresh corn, husks and silk removed
2 store supermarket purchased rotisserie chickens
2 (1lb.) packages frozen corn, thawed
1 quart heavy cream
1 tablespoon fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried

Cook the bacon in a very large skillet until crispy; remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Add the shallots, celery and jalapeño to the pan with the bacon drippings and sauté over medium heat until tender.

Sprinkle vegetables with the flour, 1 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper and stir to coat. Transfer the vegetables to a very large stock pot and add the chicken stock and the potatoes; bring to a boil and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 13 minutes.

Using a sharp knife, carefully remove the corn from the cobs, slicing downward from the tip to the base. Add the corn along with 2 of the empty cobs to the pot.

Remove as much chicken as possible from the 2 chickens; use both dark and white meat, but do not use the skin. Dice the chicken and add to the pot.

Puree the thawed corn in a food processor and stir into the pot. Simmer over low heat for 15 minutes. Remove the cobs from the soup and discard.

Stir in the heavy cream the bacon pieces and the thyme along with additional salt and pepper to taste; simmer an additional 10 minutes until heated through and slightly thickened.

Serves 12-16

12 comments:

Prudy said...

What a great summer soup. I love corn chowder. Again-your photos are looking so fab. Bet that cornbread was delicious. Kudos to you for sharing your talents for a worthy cause.

La Bella Cooks said...

I absolutely love corn chowder and with the addition of chicken, I would just be over the moon with a bowl! I bet the ladies at the shelter were so comforted by such a delicious meal.

gigi said...

This looks wonderful!
Thanks for popping over to my blog. I'll keep checking you out and you keep us cooking.

Unknown said...

Corn chowder is always a winner in my book!

Robin said...

Great site you got here. Some awesome recipes! Thanks for stopping by my site. I am going to have to make your Baby Cakes, they look so good!

Veronica said...

Thanks, Prudy!

Bridgett-corn chowder, especially in the summer, is one of my favorites.

Thanks, Gigi, Lynn and Robin Sue!

Aunt Julie said...

Oh, this looks delish! I'm going to the store today, so I plan to pick up the ingredients for this tasty dish. BTW, thanks for entering my Great Giveaway! Please remember to Share the Comment Love. Your readers have until 6 p.m. EST today. The more the merrier!

Veronica said...

Hi Veggie Mom-I think those Pop'rs of yours are pretty unique! Let me know when they are available in the supermarket!

Annie said...

Found your blog through foodgawker. I love the picture of the corn--each kernel looks like a little pearl. Beautiful!
I love corn chowder too. Will have to make that soon.

Jenny said...

Yum, chicken corn chowder has got to be one of my favorite soups, yours sounds perfect! Speaking of perfect is your corn photo, wow it looks awesome, like I can almost grab it!

Clumbsy Cookie said...

Beautiful gesture to cook for a shelter. I love the shoot of the corn, it looks like pearls!

Veronica said...

Thanks for stopping in, Annie & Clumbsy Cookie. I thought the corn looked like pearls too and I do love pearls!

Thanks, Jenny!