; Supermarket Serenade: BLTs with Jalapeno Mayo (and a quick potato tip)

Monday, August 25, 2008

BLTs with Jalapeno Mayo (and a quick potato tip)

The end of summer is always bittersweet.
Carefree days at the beach and on vacation have to come to end, the kids go back to school and activities. But there is one bright spot for me at the end of summer, the supermarkets and farmer's markets are overflowing with countless varieties of tomatoes.
This time of year I could (and often do) eat tomatoes for breakfast, lunch and dinner. It's important though to be careful in the supermarket when you are selecting your tomatoes. A few super tips are:

  • If at all possible, select tomatoes that are locally grown they will always have the best flavor
  • Look for firm unblemished tomatoes that feel slightly heavy in your hands
  • Don't buy tomatoes stored in a refrigerator section of the store and don't refrigerate tomatoes when you get them home. Refrigerating tomatoes decreases their flavor.
  • The tomatoes "on the vine" at the supermarket can be pretty flavorful and are a good choice only when you cannot find the locally grown varieties.
The BLT recipe I made today calls for wheat rolls, thick sliced bacon, and a jalapeno spiked mayo. I cooked the bacon my new favorite way: in the oven. I line the bacon in an even layer on a baking sheet and bake at 375 for about 10 minutes. It's so much easier than messing with a frying pan and cooking in batches when you're making bacon for a crowd. Super tip:

Now don't tell your cardiologist or family doctor that I told you to do this but, when you are finished cooking the bacon, reserve about 1/2 of the drippings on the baking sheet, dice up some baby red potatoes and a bit of shallot. Toss the potatoes and shallot onto the pan with the drippings using your hands coat with the drippings. Bake the potatoes at 425 for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Let me tell you, those will be about the best roasted potatoes you've ever tasted....but really, don't tell your doctor.

Back to the BLT-it's not too heavy (a few of those potatoes on the side would be nice) and it will have you wishing summer tomatoes (real summer tomatoes) could be purchased all year round.
BLTs with Jalapeno Mayo
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 jalapeno, seeds and membranes removed, minced
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
1 pound thick sliced bacon
6 soft whole wheat rolls, lightly toasted
6 Romaine lettuce leaves, coarsely chopped
4 large tomatoes any variety, thinly sliced

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
In a small bowl combine the mayonnaise, jalapeno and cilantro; cover and chill until ready to use.

Arrange the bacon in a single layer on a large baking sheet; cook for 10 minutes in the preheated oven or until crispy and browned.

To assemble sandwiches, arrange toasted rolls on a work surface. Spread an even layer of the jalapeno mayo on the bottom half of each roll, top with a few pieces of the chopped romaine, a few tomato slices, 2 or 3 slices of bacon and top with the remaining roll halves.

Yield: 6 sandwiches

9 comments:

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

I love a good BLT and this one looks great! We had some yesterday with avocado mayo:)

Beth (jamandcream) said...

BLT is a firm favourite in my house. Never cook my bacon in the oven - will have to try that

grace said...

never before have i liked mayo, but spiked with jalapeno, i just might enjoy it! your blt looks scrumptious, and that's all there is to it. :)

Pam said...

The BLT is my favorite sandwich. I love to add fresh avocado to mine. The jalapeno mayo would make my husband very happy.

Aggie said...

I really like the sounds of this sandwich!! That mayo sounds awesome!

La Bella Cooks said...

A great BLT makes for perfect comfort food but I think you just made it even better with the jalapeno mayo! Gorgeous photos as well.

Julie Hession said...

My husband would go absolutely nuts over these, so I will thank you on his behalf (because I will definitely prepare these soon!) Wonderful picture too!

Prudy said...

That's one beautiful BLT and I love your potato tip.

Anonymous said...

Ugh. I'm sitting here trying to figure out what to make for lunch and now I want a BLT. Your BLT. I don't have time to go to the store, home and then make it back to work though. Those look sooo good!
~The Cat's Pajamas