; Supermarket Serenade: Touchdown Treat Week

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Touchdown Treat Week


I'll be honest, I'm not much of a football fan.

Oh don't get me wrong I can bandwagon with the best of them. In fact I'm a total sports chameleon-you know that "I don't watch football all season but I'm wearing the team colors and sporting a #1 foam finger for my team of the moment come Super Bowl Sunday" kind of gal. I'm from NY originally so I can easily jump on the blue Giants bandwagon when called to (or the green Jets bandwagon for that matter). The Buffalo Bills would be great to root for too...I always love an underdog. I live in New England now, so if the Patriots are fortunate enough to get in, well...Tom Brady's awfully cute, so it wouldn't take much to get me to root for them...you get the idea.

With this year's Superbowl though, it will be very hard for me to choose a team to root for. I'm not feeling a hometown vibe for Arizona or Pennsylvania. I don't even feel an "I drove through there once and it was really nice" vibe...the best I can do is my cousin Joe who lives in Maryland has a daughter that goes to Carnegie Mellon which is in Pittsburgh so I guess this year I'll be donning black and gold and morphing into a Steelers fan. Or maybe I could just be really honest and say I only watch the Superbowl for the commercials (oh, and to eat the food).

This recipe is for my favorite party dip: Buffalo Chicken Dip. My version uses supermarket purchased rotisserie chicken, but if you prefer you can poach your own chicken or use leftover. I don't really like the canned chicken, so I would not recommend using that; it's too "tuna-fishy". You can leave out the crumbled blue cheese if you would like or you can replace it with shredded cheddar, but I think the fresh blue cheese gives it a little extra zip. Make it extra spicy by increasing the hot sauce-this version is mildly spicy.

I would love to hear about your favorite game day dip...who are you rooting for next Sunday and what dip are you serving?

I Wish The Buffalo Bills Were In The Super Bowl Chicken Dip (aka Buffalo Chicken Dip)

2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
3/4 cup hot sauce (such as Frank's)
8 ounces cream cheese (room temperature)
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup blue cheese dressing
1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
1 packet ranch dressing mix
1 cup mozzarella cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray a 9x9 inch or similar baking dish with cooking spray.

In a medium bowl combine the chicken and the hot sauce, stirring to completely coat the chicken. Spread the chicken in an even layer in the bottom of the baking dish.
Using the same bowl, stir together the cream cheese, sour cream, blue cheese dressing, blue cheese crumbles and ranch dressing mix; spread in an even layer over the chicken. Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese over all.
Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes or until lightly browned and bubbly. Cool for 10 minutes before serving as it will be very hot. Serve with corn chips, celery sticks or carrot sticks.

18 comments:

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

This looks great. I am making a baked ham and will have fresh rolls along with some appetizers. I don't like making a ham for only the four of us but I have one in the fridge and we are having a small party. I am routing for Az because it is easier to make red drinks.

Mary Bergfeld said...

Oh, my this looks decadent. I heard Carnegie Mellon and my ears perked right up. I have fond memories of Squirrel Hill and CMU. Like many with memories of CMU my knowledge of football is really limited, but I'm always up for a party. We'll drink to anything!

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

The dip looks so cheesy and decadant! Can I come to your house to watch the Super Bowl?

Anonymous said...

I have three sons, so I see more than my share of sports, both professional and non-professional!

We are rooting for the Steelers because we are closest to Pennsylvania and my oldest son will be attending Penn State in the Fall.

As for dips....thanks to you, I am making the Buffalo Chicken Dip! I have had that before but never gotten the recipe to make it! It's soooo.... good!

Thanks so much for sharing the recipe her :-)

Barbara Bakes said...

I feel the same way about the Super Bowl this year. I don't know who to cheer for. It's so much more fun if you're pulling for a team. This dip looks so decadent and delicious!

Maria said...

I can't wait for the big game, Go Steelers:) The dip looks awesome!

Anonymous said...

Oh, that looks sooooo good! I really must have some. Can you tell me what to use instead of the blue cheese dressing and blue cheese? Just ranch and mozzarella maybe? Oh, I really have to try it though.

I'm not a sports person either. The school The Husband attends won the Final 4 last year and I actually followed the team throughout the year (because I know the coach) so that was a little exciting... otherwise, bleh. don't care.

~Cat

That Girl said...

Here's another connection for you - one of the readers of your blog (me) lived outside of Pittsburgh for 9 years. Go Stillers!

Aunt Julie said...

You're really putting me in the mood to throw a Super Bowl party, although I'm pretty ambivalent about the two teams, too. BTW, Uncle Lynn decided to join the Bloggy Giveaway Carnival, so we're having an impromptu Pop'rs Giveaway this week!

Veronica said...

Cat,

I would replace the blue cheese dressing either with ranch dressing or with just sour cream. Also I would throw in some shredded cheddar instead of the blue cheese.
Veronica

The Blonde Duck said...

I love that dip!

KaitCav said...

Buffalo Chicken Dip is everywhere this year! Did you know there's a buffalochickendip.com and a buffalo chicken dip face book page? I think that if you use the right kind of canned chicken it tastes really good and it even improves the consistency of the dip. I find with canned chicken the dip is really even where sometimes with shredded chicken it gets kind of clumpy. I recommend that you make sure your chicken is made with only white meat (I work for Swanson and we use their premium chunk chicken) I get compliments on my recipe all the time!

RecipeGirl said...

I hear you... I'm not really into either team either, but since we live closer to AZ I guess we'll go with them!

I've seen a lot of versions of buffalo chicken dip but haven't tried it yet. What's not to like? It looks great. You should enter this in my Super Bowl recipe contest to win $250! You have until midnight tonight to enter :)

kylee said...

I live in AZ - so I guess it's the Cardinals, but... would that mean I actually have to watch football?

Like.... all of it?

I can just show up to a superbowl party with food, and drink the day away... right?

Tracy said...

I love the name of the dip! Around her, we really do wish the Buffalo Bills were in the Super Bowl.

Hallie Fae said...

Yum that dip looks so good. I wish I had seen this in time for the superbowl! Maybe next year...

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous! This dish looks really really yummy!!

Aggie said...

This dip would be great anytime!! Sounds so yummy!