; Supermarket Serenade: Favorite Food Finds Friday

Friday, December 19, 2008

Favorite Food Finds Friday

All week long I have been baking and shopping, baking and shopping. (Did you notice I didn't say posting?) One day was even devoted to a group bake where a few friends and I got together and made multiple batches of three different cookies: Pecan Tassies, those "pretzel/kiss/mm things and a favorite of mine...The Barefoot Contessa's JamThumbprints. When I came home I was still in a baking mood so I baked my very favorite holiday cookie which I will share with you soon: Cherry Macaroon Puffs-they are very special cookies to me...

Baking with friends really made it less like work and more like an event. My friend Sue made everyone delicious paninis with her griddler and we enjoyed an afternoon of baking together and since it was at her house I didn't have a messy kitchen to clean up!! (Thanks, Susie!).

Ok I'll get to my favorite food find....it has to do with baking-sort of. I love to make fudge for gifts around the holidays and this year I used a favorite food find to create a tasty variation of the fudge recipe from the side of the Fluff tub. (Fluff isn't the Friday favorite but it does count as a favorite food find though...who doesn't love that sticky, sweet, velvety white treat??)

This week I love.....McCormick Gourmet Collection Chai Spice Blend! I replaced the semi-sweet chocolate chips with white chips and stirred in a teaspoon of the spice mixture to create what I am calling Chai Latte Fudge. Once the fudge is firm and you've cut it into squares, you can either serve it as is or for an extra pretty touch you can sift unsweetened cocoa powder over the squares. It's a melt in your mouth treat-perfect for teachers gifts or for your neighbors.

Chai Latte Fudge

5 cups sugar
1 1/4 cups evaporated milk
1/4 pound butter (1 stick), cut into tablespoons
1 (16 ounce) container Marshmallow Fluff
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 (12 ounce) packages white baking chips
1 teaspoon Chai Spice Blend
Line a 13x9 inch pan with aluminum foil leaving the edges of the foil hanging out of the pan. Lightly spray the foil with cooking spray.


Combine the sugar, evaporated milk, butter, Fluff, salt and salt in a large sauce pan. Stir over low heat until blended.

Bring mixture to a boil over medium heat, stirring. Being careful not to mistake escaping air bubbles for boiling. Then boil slowly, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes.


Remove from the heat. Stir in the vanilla, baking chips an the Chai Spice Blend. Pour into the prepared pan. Allow to cool at room temperature.

Yields: about 5 pounds of fudge

Store the fudge covered at room temperature. I don't like my fudge chilled...but hey, that's just me.

9 comments:

Julie said...

That sounds really interesting, and different. I love chai, so I bet I'd love it :)

Anonymous said...

Oooh...really interesting! I am a big fan of Chai and all the spiciness.....will have to try this! Thanks for the recipe :-)

Mary Bergfeld said...

You always find something I'd probably walk right by. My family loves that I read your blog --- it keeps me, as they say, "au courant".

Karen said...

Sounds like you've been having fun in the kitchen! This chai fudge sounds so yummy - it's one of my favorite combination of spices.

The Blonde Duck said...

I'm so craving paninis now!

Robin said...

I had no idea that MacCormick had that spice out! The fudge sounds so delicious and lucious! Thanks for another great find!

Allie said...

You're so creative! I'll have to look for the Chai spice in the store next time I go.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great flavor! I didn't have time to make as much stuff as I would have liked. This is on my list for next year! HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

whitneyingram said...

What a great twist on regular fudge. Too bad that I have failed miserably every time I have tried to make fudge:)