; Supermarket Serenade: Barefoot Thursday Herb Roasted Onions

Thursday, November 13, 2008

Barefoot Thursday Herb Roasted Onions

Barefoot Thursday! Barefoot Thursday is the day when barefoot bloggers across the blogosphere whip up a recipe created by Ina Garten the Barefoot Contessa. Why don’t you find out more about it by visiting the Barefoot Bloggers…maybe you would even like to join in (I’ll bet you would like it).
This week's recipe was selected by Kelly from Baking with The Boys. The recipe was a simple, elegant roasted onion recipe. I only made a few minor alterations to the original recipe-I replaced the mustard with red pepper sauce (Tabasco) and added some fresh rosemary and dried thyme (I forgot to buy fresh Thyme). I served the onions with grilled sliced skirt steak and drizzled Worcestershire sauce over the steak and the onions just before serving. It was delicious!


Now a critical reader might say: "...eh, it looks like you burned the onions"

And to that I might quickly respond: "...yeah, well, I meant to do that-a crispy onion is a tasty onion thank you very much."

After finishing, I found myself wishing I had tossed the warm onions in a mixed field greens salad with a bit of goat cheese and some walnuts...I guess I'll have to make them again! The original recipe is here.

Lightly Spiced Herb Roasted Onions (adapted from Ina Garten's recipe)


2 red onions

1 yellow onion

2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice

1 teaspoon red pepper sauce (such as Tabasco)

1/2 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary

pinch dried thyme

1 teaspoon minced garlic

3/4 teaspoon kosher salt

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1/4 cup good olive oil

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Remove the stem end of each onion and carefully slice off the brown part of the root end, leaving the root in tact. Peel the onions and slice into wedges. Place the wedges in a large ovenproof skillet.

Whisk together the lemon juice, Tabasco, rosemary, thyme, garlic, salt and pepper. Gradually add the oil, whisking to combine. Pour the dressing over the onions in the skillet and gently toss to coat. Place the onions in the oven and roast for 30-40 minutes. Stir the onions once during roasting.

22 comments:

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

I like crispy. I wish mine had come out a little more done but I was in a rush to get dinner on the table.

Anonymous said...

Yours look wonderful! I love the way they stayed attached. I cut mine through to far I think.

Aggie said...

I love the crispiness of the onions! Great pictures Veronica!! They look delicious!

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

The onions looks so savory, I love the addition of the rosemary. Great pictures too!

Cathy said...

So wonderful! I was thinking that these would be perfect with steak! Your salad idea is great too -- just so many possibilities for these!

Maria said...

Your onions look fantastic! Great photos too!! I love the salad!

Allie said...

Love the idea of putting it in a salad!

chocolatechic said...

We don't call them crispy, we call them 'caramelized'.

I love 'caramelized' onions.

Anne said...

I bet that salad would be delicious and I love the addition of Tabasco. Yum!

Esi said...

I had some crispy edges too! Love your adaptations.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

The salad you suggest sounds incredible. I had some leftovers but sadly they were just cleaned out of my fridge.

Anonymous said...

I LOVED the burnt pieces! I'm catching up with all of my loved ones, so expect to be flooded by me soon! Things have been so crazy!
~Cat

Julie said...

Oh man that looks good! Now my tummy's rumbling.

vanillasugarblog said...

Nope I would never say looks like you burned the onions, I would say these look insanely tasty. I love onions with texture and flavor.
I hope you saw my thank you-shoutout to you a couple posts ago. :-)

Anonymous said...

I agree with Cholcolatechic....those are definitely carmalized and all the better for it!

Shelby said...

These look aweseome (especially next to that steak!).

Jen said...

Mmmm, crispy looks really good! I love onions. I was telly Lisa at Jersey Girl that I bet these would also be great with yellow, green, and red peppers mixed in! Yummmmm.

The Blonde Duck said...

I like burned veggies. I don't know why!

That Girl said...

I like my onions crispy too.

grace said...

i like my onions charred to within an inch of their lives--these look great. :)

Karen said...

I wish I'd let mine roast a little more to get them more caramelized. Yours looks great! LOVE the idea of putting the warm onions in greens with goat cheese and walnuts... glad I have leftovers ;)

test it comm said...

Those roasted onions look good!