; Supermarket Serenade: Quick Roasted Pork Tenderloin with Spicy Apple Pan Sauce

Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Quick Roasted Pork Tenderloin with Spicy Apple Pan Sauce


One of the things I love most about pork tenderloins is that they are quick. Whether you grill them or roast them you can have a company worthy dish in less than 30 minutes. That being said we were not having company in the middle of the week-I just wanted dinner for the five of us for one of the few nights when we can actually sit down together like a family and eat.

Peter Brady (yes, the one from the Brady Bunch) had it right when he said "Pork chops and Appleshaus"....pork and apples just go together. (Tell me you haven't said it that way: "Pork chops and Appleshaus"). I didn't make an applesauce, but rather an Apple pan sauce with chunky apples and apple cider. The pork is rubbed with a spicy mixture of pumpkin pie spices and chili powder and then roasted for 17 minutes-tasty and simple. I served the pork with green beans and wild rice and it was a delicious meal.

The apple cider in the supermarket this time of year comes from one of the many orchards around town and is really tasty-I love cider this time of year and it really made a perfect sauce. Don't substitute apple juice it just won't give it the same rich flavor, if you can't find any cider I would just use a good quality red wine instead.

Quick Roasted Pork Tenderloin with Spicy Apple Pan Sauce

2 (1 pound) pork tenderloins, trimmed
2 tablespoons butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1 1/4 teaspoon ancho chili powder, divided
1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
1 large apple (I used Gala), peeled and cut into 1/2 inch dice
1 large shallot, minced
2/3 cup apple cider
2/3 cup chicken broth

Preheat an oven to 425 degrees.

Pat the pork tenderloins dry with paper towels and place in a large oven safe skillet. In a small bowl combine the butter, pumpkin pie spice, 1 teaspoon of the chili powder and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt. Rub the spice mixture over all sides of the tenderloins. Scatter the diced apples and the shallots around the tenderloins.

Roast the pork in the oven for 17 minutes, turning once halfway through cooking. Remove the tenderloins from the skillet and place on a cutting board; cover loosely with foil while preparing the sauce.

Using a potholder (the handle of the skillet will be very hot) transfer the skillet to the stove top. Add half of the cider and the 2/3 cup of chicken broth to the pan; bring to a boil, stirring and cook until the liquid is reduced to about 1/2 cup. Reduce the heat and whisk in the remaining cider, chili powder and salt and cook until the liquid is again reduced to about 1/2 cup.

To serve, carve the tenderloins into 1/2 inch thick slices, fan onto a serving platter and spoon the pan sauce over. Garnish if desired with additional chili powder.

Yield: 6 servings

15 comments:

Mary Bergfeld said...

What a perfect fall meal. I'll have to give this a try.

The Blonde Duck said...

That looks great!

Anonymous said...

Veronica,
That Peter Brady thing is so funny to me because whenever my kids ask what's for dinner I always answer that way! I even forgot where I heard it the first time. It truly makes them cringe everytime I say it. I also quote Jan a lot--Marcia, Marcia, Marcia! Man I miss that show. Okay now that my age is showing (and today is my birthday!) I'll just say that that pork looks delicious!

Veronica said...

Happy Birthday, Candy!! I miss the Brady Bunch too-funny though my kids never liked it when it was on TVland...guess it's too dated for them!

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

What a great fall dinner! I loved the Brady Bunch. I think I watched every single episode.

Jenny said...

Yum Veronica,
It looks like the perfect dinner! Hope to make it soon!

That Girl said...

I love pork and apples1

Unknown said...

I am soo going to try this over the weekend... It looks awesome.

Thanks for popping by my blog & giving me some SITS love! : )

Emily said...

I love the Brady Bunch. I have a lunch box with them on it. I like the singing and dancing episodes. Silver Platters?

Yeah..

This sounds great!

Veronica said...

Oh Emiline how cool you have a Brady Bunch Lunch Box!!

Prudy said...

What a gorgeous Autumn dinner.

grace said...

i've been seeing pork and apples popping up all over the food blog world, and rightly so--they're a magical pair. i'm loving the sauce!

Anonymous said...

Love the idea of using pumpkin pie spice in this. Perfect for autumn.

Deborah said...

This looks fantastic!

Birdie said...

Pork and apples are a great combination. Ilove the tenderloins adn asways have them on hand. They are really great for a quick tasty dinner.