; Supermarket Serenade: Chicken Veronique

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Chicken Veronique


Today is day two of my salad week.

I worked this recipe around some pretty looking fresh tarragon I found in the supermarket. I love the classic flavors of chicken, tarragon and grapes in Chicken Veronique. What I don't love is the typical cream laden sauce. Many salad versions I've seen called for heavy mayo - another heavy ingredient I'm trying to avoid. I've created a lighter version that I think tastes just as delicious. It's only been two days of salads-I'm not craving heavy cream sauces...yet.
Chicken Salad Veronique

Salad:
4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
Water for poaching
1 teaspoon salt
8 cups mesclun greens
1 cup halved red grapes
2 tablespoons coarsely chopped walnuts

Vinaigrette:
3 tablespoons champagne vinegar
2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon water
1 teaspoon finely chopped shallot
1/4 teaspoon white pepper (preferably fresh ground)
1/4 teaspoon coarse salt (such as French Grey)
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh tarragon

Place the chicken in a shallow saucepan with a lid and add enough water to just cover the chicken. Add 1 teaspoon of salt to the water. Bring water to a boil over medium high heat. Cover the pan, remove from the heat and let sit for 15 minutes. Remove chicken from the water and transfer to a cutting board. Carve the chicken into 1/2 inch thick slices

Divide the greens between 4 serving plates; fan the chicken over the greens. Top each salad with grapes and walnuts.

For the vinaigrette: whisk together the vinegar, oil, shallot, pepper, salt and tarragon. (You may use a small blender if you would prefer).

Drizzle vinaigrette over chicken and greens.

Yield: 4 salads

3 comments:

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

Looks good! I love new recipes for salads.

Emily said...

This looks like a delicious looking salad!
I love champagne vinegar. I used it a couple of years ago, but then I was unable to find it again. I suppose I could buy it online.

Veronica said...

Thanks, Lisa

Emiline-I actually bought champagne vinegar at my local Marshall's store and it wasn't too expensive at least not as expensive as it might be online!